[at-l] Ref Water Treatment

Black Wolfe blackwolfe at charter.net
Fri Jan 8 17:24:49 CST 2016

On 01/08/2016 05:06 PM, Leslie Booher wrote:
> What is the best method for treating water on an AT thru hike?
>
> After all the other choices mentioned, I'll add this: It never hurts to fold
> a clean-ish bandanna a couple of times and use it to strain your water.  It
> helps weed out the floaties.  I say 'clean-ish', because they're never truly
> clean after you've been out awhile.  Still, it helps your peace of mind to
> do just a little bit of treating.  I use Clorox drops when I'm in doubt
> about the water source.
>
> Oh, and no one has mentioned the weight of carrying a filtration system, nor
> how confusing all those hoses can be.  After a few times, I figured I was
> really doing no good, anyway, and left the thing home.
>
> a'bear
>
> Humankind: Be both.

Some of us don't mind fiddling about with mechanical contrivances.
Truthfully I generally prefer filtering my water.  That does entail
keeping inlet and output tubing separated.  My personalty handles that
well.  Other personalities don't.  Bottom line; find out what works for
you (including your level of "acceptable risk.") then go for a hike.  I
have many times drank deeply of "raw" water without ever contracting a
water Bourne illnesses.
Bruce W.
Black Wolfe