[at-l] at-l Digest, Vol 31, Issue 4

Richard Mann rkmcoder at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 12:39:53 CDT 2016

> Maybe we could get Wingfoot to join again....
>
> ....just imagine. And, Pittsburgh...  and...

Imagine that after all these years - me an Dan in the same post again!  Now all you have to do is add Baltimore Jack in there and you'd have a trifecta...

Met Jack in Port Clinton in 1997 - he blasted me for 1) driving hikers to a pay phone - he said they were 'hikers' and should have walked to the phone, and 2) for talking about trail maintainers on the at-l (forgot now what I had said) without ever having actually done any maintenance.  I took number 2 to heart and did trail maintenance with Bob Peoples in the Laurel Gorge for a few years in a row.  Now I can talk about trail maintenance.  Got nothing to say...

I remember Jack blasting us all on at-l for slamming Dan, specifically for some of us saying that Dan actually did not do all of the thru-hikes that he claimed.  Jack said Dan was a man of integrity...

Anyway, Jack became a good friend to us at at-l.  I will miss him...

Felix, I'll be in Vietnam over the summer.  Send me your new address...

Good to see so many of the old (and I use that term literally) folks still on the at-l.  Great that we are still here even though other technology has passed on by.  I haven't hiked on the trail since November 2007 when I went from AFSP to Three Forks.  Short, cold hike...

My wife and I drove to Pittsburgh this past fall from our home in Florida, and we did stop at the trail at Kimberley Creek so that I could touch a white blaze.  There was a sign , 'Do not leave deer carcasses'.  That is my new philosophy of life...

Pittsburgh