[cdt-l] big cats in the divide basin?

jason seehafer jasonsee123 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 14:23:41 CDT 2006

hi all,

do big cats exist in the divide basin?  i could have sworn i saw one perched
up on a couple rocks about 5 miles north of Bull Springs (about 6:30 a.m.
this past thursday).  it was about 1/8 of a mile away and i observed it for
about 30 seconds before it spotted me and fled.  not sure what else it could
have been (lots of rabbits to eat, thats for sure).

the divide basin was ok.  thanks to Jim/Jenny for the water info left at
south pass city (and to Nitro for passing on Pi's info).  it rained on me
twice (off and on all day on tuesday), including an incredible 3-4 minute
wind/rain storm that pelted me with horizontal rain just as i hit the paved
road (before 287).  it was one of the craziest 10 weather minutes of my
hiking career.  man........it was intense.  could do nothing but laugh and
laugh and smile.

caught a ride in a semi-truck leaving Lander.  It was hauling 65,000 pounds
of pure sugar.  couldn't believe the truck pulled over (didn't even bother
sticking out my thumb).  the driver said he picked up a hiker last year at
the south pass road crossing (an older fella).  any ideas?  has to be one of
us, right?

gotta run.......lots of trail chores and food to eat.