[cdt-l] Rollings into Rawlins, WY

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 17:17:20 CDT 2006

(Mea Culpa for the cross posting..Internet time can be
limited. :O)

I am now in Rawlins, WY. About 1/2 way done with
this trip. Hard to believe!

Made it through the Great Divide Basin. The basin is
where the water falls and does not go to The Atlantic
or the Pacific.  Simply stays in this wide open area
between the mountains. Of course, little rain falls in
the basin. The terrain is flat, hot and exposed.

The walking is mainly on jeep roads with little elev
gain or loss.   What made this stretch so enjoyable
was that I have caught up to some other southbounders
and was able to hike with them through the desert.
Desert hiking is striking...but can be a bit like
walking on a treadmill. I  now think I know every
nuance of sagebrush! Hiking with people
certainly made the day go easier.

What was in the "way cool" category was seeing herds
of wild horses in  the desert. Simply majestic.
The horses are not native to this area, but they
certainly seem to belong. Hoping my pics came out!

Had yet more trail magic. A few hikers who made it
town earlier in the  morning had a friend meeting them
in town. The other hikers knew some
of us were still on the road walk (rt 287) . LOng
story short....I had doughnuts and juice for breakfast
walking into town yesterday. Taking a day-off
otherwise I will be going a tad too fast for meeting
up with people in the Indian Peaks. I'm spending a few
days in Boulder seeing some friends...and eating at a
favorite AYCE Indian place!!!!!

Wyoming has been a "social state" for me. Eight of us
in town sharing two rooms! Has been a nice change of
pace. Saw the kinds words about my take on solo hiking
(thanks Yogi, Jonatahan and Sam!). I suspect will
again be a CDT "lone ranger" for Colorado. :D

As I said before: The CDT has been intense, frustrast
and difficult at times. It also has been majestic,
beautiful and perhaps my favorite of the three trails
so far (I live in the Rockies afterall!)

A little more desert...then cross into Colorado in
three days or so!!!

Embracing the brutality***,

Mags

*** (R) D-low, CDT 2005