[cdt-l] CDT Mapping Effort

John Brennan john at frozenpoodle.com
Sun Dec 3 10:47:03 CST 2006

I really like the subversive idea of a matrix of routes. I think of the CDT
route as a bundle of loose threads (that sometimes converge) on a map of the
trail corridor. In contrast, PCT and AT are a strong rope connecting Mexico
& Canada.

Let the mapping of the CDT reflect a confounding, ever-changing possible
routes base on an individual's situation on a given hike. I've found that my
route to-date has been changed by conditions beyond my control: mostly snow
and lightning.

This bundle of threads reflects the reality of actually hiking the CDT.  A
strong rope reflects the need for clarity and certainty that organizations
and governments need.

Let ONE continuous thread be for those on foot only: no bicycles, no motor
bikes, no ATVs. And let it be clear where each mode of travel is allowed so
that I can choose, if necessary, to venture on to the trail of aggressive
mountain bikers.

-John/Cupcake