[cdt-l] CDT Mapping Effort

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 12:57:54 CST 2006

An official set of maps for the CDT is, in my opinion,
a great idea for the main reason Jonathan stated: An
"official" trail makes protecting the CDT corridor
much easier.

When dealing with govt officials, land owners, etc,
being able to point to something and saying THIS is
the trail makes for easier going. Most people want to
deal with something tangiable.

I love the idea of a CDT corridor. Think that
ultimately is how most long distance hikers will
tackle the trail. But, for purposes of trail
protection and advocacy, there needs to be an official
trail on paper.

Do not think HIKING the CDT will ever be a "paint by
numbers" hike as with other trails. The nature of
people who hike this trail, the various routes, the
open country and the different options will make the
CDT an open-ended adventure for most.

The idea of a totally free form route that is truly
open (ala the Hayduke Trail) has an appeal. But to
protect the resources over such a large area, there
needs to be something concrete on the ground.

just my .02 worth, YMMV, HYOH, etc. etc.

(Still without my own computer yet! Just unpacked this
weekend.... :D)