[cdt-l] CDT Mapping Effort

Bruce Ward bruce at cdtrail.org
Mon Dec 4 14:20:44 CST 2006

I think Blister free has done a great job of articulating the rationale
behind this effort:

"Still, I think an "official mapping" of the route is
certainly not a bad idea. And it isn't fair to expect
otherwise of CDTA, without whose ambition the trail would
forever be little more than the obscure array of unsigned
itineraries that some here would prefer it remain. We can't
have it both ways. Either we promote the CDT as an official
entity in order that it might thrive in the face of
innumerable threats, or we pack up our soapbox and take our
romantic notions of pioneering with us to a wilder land
(while such lands still exist).

The typical CDT thru-hike experience will likely always be
an unfixed itinerary. Opportunities for future hikers to
experience the trail "unfinished, as it was" will probably
continue to exist for some time. And those who would seek
such personal, independent-minded journeys will also
continue coming to this trail. No allure of nice,
official-looking paper maps will deny such hikers the
experiences they seek.

Bruce Ward
Executive Director
Continental Divide Trail Alliance