[cdt-l] Fw: CDT Mapping Effort

James Herberg whorfin6644 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 19:42:08 CST 2006

Two observations:

In the Backpacker Magazine editorial piece announcing the contest to be a volunteer, Jonathan Dorn states, “Yet the CDT lacks one basic ingredient of a world-class hiking path: and official map.”  In my opinion, one of the features of the CDT that makes it world-class is its lack of an “official map.”  Rather than a path, I regard the CDT an experience.

In regards to the value of an “official” map as a land use decision-making tool, the current level of documentation is more than sufficient to create a “corridor” for the CDT, even over private lands if the government so desired.  Throughout my career in land development, I have been both the beneficiary and unwilling benefactor of governmental land use decisions.  It has been my experience that the vaguer the proposed route, the wider the corridor created.  This mapping effort is no different that any previous mapping effort since Marco Polo: it is a commercial enterprise.  Rodale, Inc. and CDTA wish to produce and sell maps and guide books.  Period.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but call a spade a spade, it ain’t a shovel.  As a fellow Capitalist Running-Dog Pig, I wish them good fortune with their investment.  However, like all previous mapping efforts, once completed and promulgated, the Law of Unintended Consequences kicks in.  I am concerned about that.

That's my opinion, but I could be wrong.