[cdt-l] New Thru-hiker questions

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 12:42:22 CST 2006

Mags and others,

Thanks for the great information.

Mags mentioned the new trail that has just been
constructed near Silver City.....will that be on the
CDTA maps?

In consideration of all the input I've received, I'm
planning to carry:

- CDTA maps
- Ley's maps
- DeLorme topo overviews (obtained via their atlases)
- Garmin's topos (on my GPS unit; no extra weight)
- Trails Illustrated maps (I also already own all of
these for CO, Yellowstone and Glacier)
- Maybe the BLMs for NM (concerned its too much
weight-wise; how do you order these?)
- Yogi's handbook
- CDTA guidebook pages

Hmmm.  This sounds like a lot to me, but I still feel
like I'm missing something.

What about carrying Colorado Trail maps or CT town
guide, etc.?  When I hiked the CT, I knew exactly the
spots where the CDT overlapped, but now I can't recall
whether its enough of an overlap to warrant bringing
along pieces of my guidebook.

Bald Eagle reminded me that I own Lynn Wheldon's "How
to Hike the CDT" video -- I must've bought it several
years ago and forgotten.  It doesn't help your memory
when everything you own has been in storage for three
years.

If there are any other prospective CDT thru-hikers (or
section hikers!) in N. Alabama, Middle Tennessee or W.
Georgia, please contact me off list and maybe we can
get together to share planning, ideas and watch the
videos together.

Nocona