[cdt-l] New Thru-hiker questions (Jim's answers)

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 22:33:18 CST 2006

>>BLM maps for NM and WY - some time ago there was a
>>discussion on cdt-l re: trespassing on private land.  In
>>both states you can (and some hikers have been) arrested
>>for trespass.  Kinda cuts into your thruhike.  The cure
>>for that is to carry (and use) the BLM maps.  They'll tell
>>you where the private and public lands are located.  And
>>that information CAN help you navigate as well as keep you
>>out of trouble.<<

I'm about to butt out for a while, but first...

Many good points in Jim's post, however I really think the
BLM maps are unnecessary, especially for the far-flung
contingency detailed above. Yes, the occasional rancher in
New Mexico may drive along, stop, and ask a few questions,
but this is usually (granted, not always) based on their own
ignorance or indignation toward the CDT and its legal
right-of-way through lands they access to reach their
private or deeded inholdings. And if it's the
guidebook-and-map-abiding hiker who's at fault, it's usually
an honest mistake (right?). And anyway I just can't imagine
a female hiker being taken to task on it.

Nah, carry the BLM maps maybe for fun, but not outta fear.
That emotion's an unnecessary complication for the
upstanding CDT thru-hiker in planning, IMHO.

- bf, now butting out for the holidays