[cdt-l] Fuel Resupply

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 24 15:29:50 CST 2006

You are right, there is little or nothing available at any of the places you
listed below.  The same places that don't have groceries also don't carry
fuel.   Big Sandy used to carry white gas, but they stopped doing that years
ago.  Maybe Doc Campbells in the Gila would carry heet - but we were only
two days out of Silver City, so we didn't even look for fuel, just ice
cream. We resupplied in Reserve, so didn't need more fuel in Pie Town.  We
went to Lander, so didn't need to resupply in Atlantic City (though we
mailed our maps to S. Pass since we knew we would be reaching Lander on the
weekend and didn't want to wait for Monday to pick up our maps.)  One of the
restaurants had a few groceries, but I wouldn't count on fuel there (or
groceries either.) Old Faithful might be a problem too.  Of course, you can
resupply at W. Yellowstone instead of Macks Inn and Old Faithful, and they
have everything you might need.Twin Lakes in Colorado might be a problem, if
you are resupplying there.  There is a small grocery, but it wasn't much
good for resupply, just snacks.  If not, go to Leadville, which has a great
hostel and is a nice place to visit.

Every place else we were able to get Heet. Most towns had either a hardware
store, an auto parts store, or gas station minimart. Since we did a
different route in southern Montana, I can't answer your question about
availability in those towns, but I don't think they would be a problem since
we were able to resupply using unleaded gas on our last hike. Any place that
sells unleaded is likely to sell Heet.  I was quite pleasantly surprised at
how easy it was to find fuel along the way.

As to canisters - there you are likely to have more of a problem finding
replacements.  Many of the towns are very very small.  There are some
outdoor stores along the way - in the bigger towns like Helena,
Dillon/Silverthorne, Creede, Dubois, Pagosa Springs, Silver City, Butte,  -
and WalMarts might carry them (Deming, Grants, Butte) but many of the small
towns have a small grocery, a gas station and maybe a hardware store, but
not much else that would be helpful. If you meant that you wanted to carry
the canister stove as a back up - I wouldn't bother.  We had no problem
getting enough alcohol on the trail. We never had to carry more than one
full 20 oz Pepsi bottle for the two of us.

Ginny

**************
Looks like the past 3 years cdt-l archives were vaporized this summer, so
I’ll go ahead and ask about fuel resupply (I’m sure the info was in there
somewhere). I assume alcohol is available at the larger resupply towns in
the form of heet or denatured, but what about the small places like Macks
Inn, Leadore, Lima etc.. Other than those, here are my main places of
concern (assumed northbound hike):

-	Gila Hot Springs, NM (could stock up in Silver City)
-	Pie Town, NM
-	Ghost Ranch, NM (could stock up in Cuba)
-	Atlantic City/South Pass, WY
-	Benchmark, MT (stock up in Lincoln)

We are thinking about bringing the little canister stove and sending fuel
with our resupply in the few places we're sending a box, is that necessary?

Anybody’s recent experience with fuel resupply would be greatly appreciated.
Are there other places of concern? Thanks, Mark.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/