[cdt-l] Does using GPS diminish the experience?

Point North pointnorther_light at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 25 23:49:31 CST 2006

I've read of some CDT hikers using GPS devices.  Granted, the CDT is hard to follow and you'll almost certainly get lost or "misplaced" often.  If you're like me, who admits to panic when I lose the trail, carrying a GPS makes sense.  It not only eases your mind, but allows you to get back on track and get to where you're going.

On the other hand, isn't part of being a hiker, developing the skill of finding your way?  I mean really, are we so lame that we can't find our way without beaming up to a satellite?   If long distance hikers are at the forefront of modern humans' attempt to get back in touch with the Earth, can't we at least learn competent navigation skills?

What's your take?

http://mail.yahoo.com