[cdt-l] packs

wrwebster at commspeed.net wrwebster at commspeed.net
Fri Dec 29 15:49:49 CST 2006

While section hiking the CDT this summer, I used a Mountainsmith pack.
While it had some nice features in a medium size pack, it's design had a
metal D-ring between the shoulder straps and the aluminum stays. One of
the straps chafed thru before I got to a food stop where I could duct tape
it against more chafing. The other strap was also chafed most of the way
thru. Not the kind of problem that gives confidence in your equipment
(although 1/8 nylon cord salvaged it temporarily).

Recently I bought an Arcteryx Bora pack, which is slightly larger in
volume and heavier; it looks much more substantial in design. Anybody out
there with good or bad experience with Arcteryx, other than its heavier
weight.