[cdt-l] Colorado Trail -- late start questions

Kenneth E. Baldrey keneb at adaes.com
Mon Jul 10 10:22:41 CDT 2006

The only serious bail-off problems on the CT are in the San Juans if
winter sets in early.  There will be normal snows from early September
on but usually for just a day or two and it melts quickly.  And you
could get lucky and have a two week blue sky stretch with no lightning
or storms at all in September.  That's the sweet spot for Colorado
mountaineering and thru-hiking.  Maybe start Durango to Waterton around
Labor Day, that way you clear the high San Juan early and the aspens
will be hitting full bloom from Copper Mountain on.  We've had drought
in Colorado but just recently the monsoons have hit with a vengeance,
it's unpredictable.

  _____