[cdt-l] Iceland

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Thu Jul 20 15:45:05 CDT 2006

I know this is a bit off-topic, but there might be some interest here. I
just got back from Iceland - a hike N->S from coast to coast + a week of
driving the ring road around the country. The hike & landscape was
absolutely amazing, it's almost impossible to summarize or describe in a
quick e-mail. In a way, the whole country is like the top of a mountain - no
trees, lots of wind, tiny little plants, lots of volcanoes, thermal
oddities, gigantic glaciers and landscapes that go forever. It was really
quite unlike anything I'd seen before - like a cross between Hawaii, New
Mexico, Yellowstone and Alaska, if that makes any sense. None of the
mountains are too high, but the country is so far north, they sure seem
really high, and there is a fair amount of steep relief when you're looking
at them. The route was mostly flat-ish, which was welcome, but not exactly
easy. It was about 350 miles or so (we think), and took about 18 days. It
was a combination of cross-country, faint two-tracks, roads of various
types, and hiking trails. We had every kind of weather, from nice sunny
days, to fierce wind, snow, sideways rain, clouds, etc (did I mention the
wind?). Sometimes we got everything in a single day. All-in-all we got
really lucky with the weather, as the worst of it came at convenient times.

I'll be updating my web site with various photos and a storyline over the
next few weeks, and will post again when that's done. It may take some time
since I have a lot of catching up to do with various things back at home. I
have like 1000 photos to go through, from both the hike & the drive
afterwards!

Nice to read the various updates from the CDT!

Jonathan