[cdt-l] Conditions in the Black Range

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 14:30:02 CST 2006

Many thanks for the update.

Based on 3 seasons of observation (spring and fall) I now
suspect Chloride Creek is fairly dependable, except
following a low-snow winter or weak monsoon. Chloride Creek
is about 10 miles north of usu. reliable Diamond Peak
Spring, and 28 miles south of Dry Time Tank. (Dry Time is
probably the least reliable of the three, although it has
had some water during the last three seasonal observations.)
I've also seen water a short distance off-trail in the
drainages on Kline Mtn, which is part-way between Chloride
and Dry Time.

See the updated Grand Enchantment Trail water chart for more
info:

http://www.simblissity.net/get/water-chart.shtml

(FWIW, the GET Town Guide is also updated for '06-'07.)

2005 CDT hiker Trippin Ant (Anthony Culpepper) is currently
hiking the GET westbound. I haven't heard from him in a
while, but suspect he's probably in the Gila by now.

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net

>>I'll reply in more detail when we get home. Water was in
>>Dry Time tank, plenty
in Chloride Creek especially the north flowing branch.
Diamond Peak Spring was
just flowing and would have been difficult to collect from.
Plenty in the
headwaters of Black Canyon. Squeaky Spring was good. Worst
trail conditions
were just north of Fisherman's bluff and in the aspen
section just north of
the head of black canyon both areas due to downed trees.

Dates Oct 27th - 31st

Alistair