[cdt-l] Which GPS?

Lawton Grinter lawtong at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 21:13:33 CST 2006

GT, Disco here.  I´m about 10 days out of completing the CDT and I´ve got a
few ideas on GPS units for future CDT hikers.  I´ve thought about this issue
a good bit and have a few ideas for you.

I finished with 5 other hikers.  So out of the 6 of us total, only 1 person
did not have a GPS unit . . . my good friend Pi.  And he did fine without
it.  P.O.D. and I carried a Garmin eTrex Vista (no color).  No Trace and
Skittles had GPS units with topo maps uploaded into them also.  Speedo had
the Geko which is about 3 oz and no maps uploaded.

P.O.D. and I have talked about this and we´ve both concluded that if we were
to hike the CDT again, we´d carry the Garmin Geko.

A couple of reasons . . . 1) it´s 3.1 oz. and that´s freakin´light when it
comes to GPS units, 2) the screen size on the eTrex vista is so small that
it makes using the topo maps on the GPS unit while on trail an exercise in
frustration, 3) you DO NOT need a GPS with uploaded topo maps if you know
how to find your location using Ley´s Compass Rose Waypoints (on each map) .
. . you do however need a GPS unit that will tell you your Lat/Long position
in reference to Ley´s waypoints (the Geko will do this).  Once you get the
knack of this, it takes about 3 minutes to do on trail and there is
ABSOLUTELY no guess work involved.  Ley has detailed info on his website on
how to use this method:  http://www.phlumf.com/cdt/cdtgps.htm.

Every CDT hiker will have a different opinion on GPS.  Some will tell you
that you do not need one at all.  Some will tell you that you need the super
expensive GPS/Cell phone combo.  All I would say is this . . . Try not to
let your fears guide your decision.  I did.  And I realized within 2 weeks
that all I needed was the Geko . . . or something similar that does not have
uploaded topo maps.

And by the way . . . reception under tree cover was never an issue that I
can remember.  Many times you will find yourself with no tree cover at all!
I wouldn´t base my GPS model buying decision on the tree cover issue . . .
it´s just really not an issue.

Hope this helps.

Best, Disco

www.trailjournals.com/darkness