[cdt-l] Lost Trail Creek to Pole Creek

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Sun Nov 19 21:48:35 CST 2006

The Forest Service intends to relocate the route to an attractive setting
along the Continental Divide, avoiding the Pole Creek crossings. The new
trail will be nonmotorized.

The CDTS comments were, in part:

*****

Segment 3 - Cataract Lake to West Fork Pole Creek

 The proposed location here is excellent. It lies close to the Continental
Divide, offers outstanding scenery, and is well separated from vehicle
traffic. We recommend development of this portion of the Trail as proposed.

Segment 2 - West Fork Pole Creek to Stony Pass

 West Fork Pole Creek to Maggie Gulch. The Trail should follow the
Continental Divide closely in this two-mile section. We agree that the best
alignment would require the acquisition of a right-of-way, notably in the SE
¼ of T41N R6W Section 16. We concur with the Forest Service plans to try to
obtain such a right-of-way. If these efforts do not succeed, however, the
route should go around the private property as indicated on the attached
map. With a switchback or two, the grades appear to be passable without
difficulty. (This route would circle around the east of Ida No. 2, swing
northwest in the gap between Ida No. 2 and Bee, then swing around to the
west and south between Bee and Iron Mask No. 2 before returning to the
Continental Divide.)

*****

[Ida No. 2, Bee, Iron Mask No.2 are patented mining claims.]

We anticipate a formal decision on this proposal within the next few months.

Jim Wolf