[cdt-l] To Stimulate Discussion

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:03:56 CST 2006

Radar,

I'm glad to hear you're hiking the CDT next year.  I think you'll love it.

If you are able to do a straight northbound hike, you'll probably be in
Colorado in July.  We were in Leadville just before the 4th of July this
year.  Except for the San Juans in the far south of the state, most of the
CDT is not that far from highways and large towns.  Because of the skiing,
there are a lot of small airports.  Or you should be able to get a ride to
Denver fairly easily from any place north of Salida.

If you are worried about finishing before winter begins, you could return to
the trail in Glacier after your break and do the rest of the hike
southbound, finishing in Colorado in the fall.  You are a strong hiker, so
taking a week off will make little difference in your ability to finish
either way. We took a lot of time off in towns this year and even at our
slower than usual pace, we still finished.  Of course, we were lucky in
October's weather.  But if you are prepared, snow shouldn't stop you.

If there is a lot of snow in Colorado in June, which seems possible given
the way things have been going this fall, when you reach Chama you could
flip to Montana and either hike south from Glacier or north from Butte
(depending on snow levels.) There is an airport in Kalispell/Whitefish that
is easily accessible. You can either rent a car to go to E. Glacier or take
Amtrak. Butte and Helena both have airports or you can rent a car for a one
way rental.

One thing, don't start too late in May. It gets hot in southern NM and water
can be very scarce.  When forests are closed because of fire danger, it is
usually in mid-May.  Starting at the end of April seems to work well most of
the time.

Ginny
http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/