[cdt-l] Lost Trail Creek to Pole Creek

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 10:56:01 CST 2006

>>But the USFS relocations do nothing to address the rampant
>>destruction of
trail with motor bikes between Cataract Lake and Carson
Pass.

The Carson Pass area has been the site of heavy OHV use for
years. I remember how badly degraded the singletrack trail
was in this area back in '98 on my CT thru. Very painful to
see, especially in such fragile meadowy terrain above
treeline.

There were signs disallowing motorbikes where the trail left
Carson Pass southbound. But a sign is not the same as
enforcement. Until the road(s) leading to the pass are gated
(I assume they're not), and maybe a fenceline installed, the
CDT is bound to cross a traffic-bearing road in this area.

Part of the problem is topographic. The San Juans are
certainly rugged, but not in the same way as the Sierra
Nevada, for instance. Roads can, have, and will be torn
through the CDT high country. Only awareness, vigilance and
restraint will curb the epidemic.

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net