[cdt-l] NM water question

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 22 15:01:10 CST 2006

Welcome Mark.

Some caching tips that we learned from experience when we cached water a
year before we used it:

We buried water in gallons with either screw on tops or zip-off lids and
bottles with smooth sides or the large 3" dimples on the side. All worked
well with repeated freezing and thawing. Write you name and ETA on the TOP
of the bottle and cover with about 1" of dirt. The water stayed fresh, the
bottles did not deteriorate from sun and accidental discovery  will show
your name.

A gps waypoint is not good enough to find the water. It gets you close but
the rocks and sparse shrubs all look the same later. Use a "locator"
(notable rock, tree, power pole) that is
visible from a distance. Move away, bury water and mark with a cairn, beer
bottle half buried or animal bones.

We could get by with a gallon per person a day for cooking and drinking and
tried to carry water to get us to our second (not next) water source.

Enjoy your water caching trip!
Marcia

YMMV