[cdt-l] Plantar Fascia stretch

Mike DiLorenzo dilorenz at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:21:10 CST 2006

While we're on the subject of stretching, can I just recommend that all long
distance hikers take some yoga classes and learn to do some standard yoga
stretches on their own and take 15 minutes after lunch to go through a short
yoga routine?  I did this on the CDT and found that it really un-tweaked my
body from the morning's hike and really loosened me up for the afternoon
hike.  It became a pleasant daily routine before the afternoon's ~10 miles.

Just make sure you do this out of sight from any diesel rumbling monster
trucks, because the drivers are going to look at you funny if you're doing
down dogs and triangles in the middle of no where.

Of course, if you're a "driven" hiker who can't take more than 30 minutes
for lunch, maybe yoga isn't for you, and maybe stretching isn't for you, and
maybe shin splints are for you!  Maybe you could introduce a little yoga
stretching routine into your hike to slow it down a bit?  OK, I'll stop
before I anger any of the 30+ mpd crew out there.  Not everyone is into 2+
hour lunch breaks on their thru-hikes...

YMMV,
d-low