[cdt-l] Southbound: Rawlins to Steamboat Springs

aandg at telusplanet.net aandg at telusplanet.net
Thu Oct 5 16:18:40 CDT 2006

We did find a Chinese buffet for lunch in Rawlins on Saturday 23rd Sep then we
bought 10 days of food supplies.
On 24th We went for a $6.50 breakfast buffet at a TA truckstop on I80 near our
campsite at the KOA then headed on our way south. (great place Rawlins - 3
different buffets in less than 48 hours!) 17 waterless miles but it was cool
weather.
On 25th we carried on through the semi desert, crossed Muddy Creek and it was,
but in the evening up the valley we found it was clean. A guy grading the road
gave us some water. 20 miles hiked.
On 26th it was more semi desert, the one stream we crossed had cow shit around
it but we had to take some. We climbed much of the day and almost made it to
treeline (the lower one).
On 27th we were soon into the pines and by 2pm we were tramping in the snow
which was 18" deep on the trail higher up. Camped at 10,600' on snow and made a
fire to melt snow for water. What a contrast!
On 28th the snow was firm and held our weight until 10.00 am. We summited
10,900' Bridger Peak before descending to 9800' to cross Battle Pass. More snow
tramping after that but no more than a foot deep. 14 miles.
On 29th We made it over the border into Colorado. Much of the day in the trees
with snow on north facing slopes. Wet feet of course. 15 miles.
On 30th a mostly downhill day to Seedhouse the place our tent is named after.
Warm as we were down to 8200'. 18 miles.
1st October: It was almost all uphill. Fine Aspen colours at first then snow
tramping above 10,000'. Above treeline (the upper one) there was not much snow.
We summited Lost Ranger Peak at 11,900' then had about 5 miles crossing the
plateau country and camped at around 11,400' in a snow free sheltered spot.
Great views much of the day, strong winds and a fine sunset. 14 miles.
2nd October: Very firm snow in the morning which was great until 10:30 then
mush but not too deep. After Buffalo Pass we were in trees and it was very wet
with water hiding under the snow! Camped by Fishhook Lake at 9800'. 17 miles.
3rd October: Rained hard all night but we had 8 spring clips to keep the tent
fly closed so we did not get wet. The zipper had totally packed up. The rain
got rid of some of the snow. We hiked the 7 miles to Rabbit Ears Pass on
highway US 40. The first car stopped and gave us a ride to Steamboat Springs.
They dropped us at a shopping centre. There was a laundromat, a grocery store
and 'Panda' and we knew that was a chinese buffet. It was 2pm and the buffet
was on until 2:30 so we stuffed ourselves with good food. We then went to Big
Agnes (the manufacturer of our tent) on Oak Street. They looked at our tent and
confirmed the inner tent and outer tent zippers were no good - we were full of
praise for the tent apart from the zippers. They gave us a demo tent for the
night and we caught the free bus west to the campground. Did laundry.
4th October/5th October: Back to Big Agnes and they gave us a new tent. Had a
good long chat with Bill, one of the owners. A pizza buffet at Beaujo's for
lunch. Mailed 6 films to Nova in Calgary for processing. Checked email in the
library but they only allow 1/2 hour and that's not much more time than it
takes to delete the junk. In travelling to and fro on the free bus, a bus
driver (the same one that gave Yogi a steak dinner) talked with us and waited
for us as we ran 2 blocks to the stop after being at the library. He invited us
to his house for the 5th and we are there now. He played for the Calgary
Stampeders in 1976 and him and his wife have run marathons. We are using their
computer to check weather forecasts, email, bus and train times to New Mexico
or Vancouver and are considering what our next destination will be - east (the
next 80 mile section to Grand Lake), south (to Lordsburg or Grants in New
Mexico to hike the Southern NM section northbound or southbound), or north (by
train or bus to Vancouver then back to Calgary).

Alistair and Gail

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional