[cdt-l] Southbound: Steamboat Springs, CO to Grants, NM

aandg at telusplanet.net aandg at telusplanet.net
Fri Oct 13 11:03:52 CDT 2006

Wow, that was 900 miles of fast walking!
Actually...
The bus driver we met in Steamboat was going to Greeley on Saturday 7th to see
his son so we got a ride to Fort Collins. From there we got the Greyhound bus
south via Denver to Alberquerque then west 60 or so miles to Grants. We got
here Sunday morning. Grants is at 6700' elevation and gets an average of 11
inches of rainfall a year and 2 of those inches have fallen since we've been
here. It's sunny today (Tuesday) and we can see the snow on 11,700' Mt Taylor
to the north east. We found a good Chinese buffet (China Gate on Santa Fe Ave
between 1st and 2nd Streets) for lunch $5.45 + tax each so we'll likely go
back there again. We'll stay here until our New Mexico maps arrive from home.
It'll take us 4 to 5 weeks to hike south to the Mexican border.
We'll return here sometime (Mid May some year) to hike the 900 miles north to
Steamboat.

Update: Friday 13th we're heading south from Grants via Zuni Canyon. After
Reserve, we may decide to do the Black Mountains route rather than the Gila
route due to the amount of rain that's fallen lately in these parts.

Alistair and Gail

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional