[cdt-l] Southbound: Dubois to Atlantic City

aandg at telusplanet.net aandg at telusplanet.net
Sat Sep 16 12:15:00 CDT 2006

The slowest of the southbounders have been slowly heading south but we have
had to take a week off in Lander.

Aug 29th: After each having 2 cinnamon buns for breakfast we hitched back to
Road 537 about 4 miles south east of Togwotee Pass. A section of the CDT was
closed due to the Purdy Fire but we had confirmes with the USFS that we could
hike the boundary of the closed area which consisted of trails and dirt roads.
We took 12 days food with us for the 180 or so miles of hiking to Atlantic
City. The first 10 miles were easy on roads but then we had problems locating
the trails on the fire boundary. Saw a few traces but we think they're not
used much now. We finally camped near the junction of Fish Creek with Trail
Creek when it was almost dark.
Aug 30th: We eventually found the trail up Trail Creek then continued
generally SE to Rat Creek the Bacon Creek. At the end of Bacon Creek we went
over a divide and saw smoke - another fire this one just NW of the Green River
Campground. We decided we wanted to get past that trailhead before they closed
more trail. We alsogot a good view of north end of the Wind River range of
mountains. Continued on roads marking the boundary. Camped by Raspberry Creek.
Aug 31st: We put in a long day on roads and trails to get us past the Green
River Trailhead hiking over 22 miles and climbing with about 2000' of
elevation gain and more loss.
Sep 1st: Cold morning. Ice in bottle inside tent. Hiked up trail up Green
River Canyon to Vista Pass. Great views of some of the peaks. Had to get a bit
above the pass for the vista! (14.4 miles mostly up!)
Sep 2nd: We'd planned to spend a bit of time in the Winds rather than rushing
through. We hiked to Cube Rock Pass then up to Shannon Pass (11080'). I then
climbed 12100+' Stroud Peak for a better view. We then headed down to Lower
Jenn Lake (10600') and camped early at 5pm. (5.8 miles)
Sep 3rd: Hiked on down Fremont Trail to saddle above Baldy Lakes. Very fine
scenery, great views from passes and good swimming in the lakes. We'd hiked
some of this before in Aug 2004. (10.8 miles)
Sep 4th: On down the Fremont Trail to north side of Raid Lake (14.6 miles)
Sep 5th: We hiked about 7 miles on the official CDT then took a side route up
Washakie Creek and over Texas Pass into the Cirque of the Towers. We camped at
6:30 just on the south side of Texas Pass. (12.5 miles).
Sep 6th: We did not hurry away from camp enjoyng the view of the cirque. We
finally hiked down to Lonesome Lake over Jackass Pass down to Big Sandy Lake
then up almost to 11500' Temple Pass before camping. Bouldery ups and down
trails but fine views. Thunder in afternoon caused us to stop for a while. I
was starting to not feel 100%. (8.0 miles)
Sep 7th: I climbed 12500' East Temple Peak from camp first. We started hiking
at 11:00. Down to Little Sandy Lake then over a treed pass and down towards
the plains. Camped a mile before Sweetwater Guard Station. (11.7 miles)
Sep 8th: We were soon into the sagebrush plains seeing lots of antelope. I was
having stomach cramps and was not feeling great at all. Some thunderstorms and
rain. We ended the day feeling cold and wet but found some sheltered camping
in the forest of the East Sweetwater Valley.
Sep 9th: I did not want to eat! This means I'm really sick. Luckily no rain.
Difficulty following trail due to deadfall and trail disappearing in meadows.
I'm not in the mood to search too much for it. We follow a orange diamond
snowmobile trail south which does eventually connect back with the official
CDT. More thunderstorms and hail. I manage to eat a whole jello pudding. We
continue hiking to Atlantic City where we've mailed our next 6 days supplies.
We reach the Merc (the bar/restaurant where we mailed our food) at 8:30.
Kitchen closed at 7pm and no place to stay there. We hike on a mile in the
dark and camp.
Sep 10th: We return to the Merc at 11:00, I have some soup, Gail a burger. We
collect our parcel. I need rest - no store here and bar/restaurant closed for
next 2 days so we hitch into Lander 30 miles away. We camp in the City Park. I
sense a fever in late afternoon so we head for the Emergency at the Hospital.
They diagnose giardia as the most likely cause of my troubles. I get flagel.
Other blood and urine tests OK.
Sep 11th - now: Resting in Lander. Feeling a lot better now. Had a chinese
buffet for lunch yesterday (15th). Gail has had some much milder symptoms and
is also on flagel. Another buffet today and we hope to be on our way on Sunday.
Weather has been 85F - 90F all week but today it's forecast to be only 50F.
Means we'll be drinking less on the way to Rawlins.

Alistair and Gail

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional