[cdt-l] Mapsource US Topo 100 & Pepper Spray?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Apr 2 00:50:43 CDT 2007

Funny, I actually bought and read Herrero's book in East Glacier,
immediately before setting out on the CDT. I agree it can wig you out a
bit... but I guess you have to keep in mind that the number of actual
backcountry attacks compared to the number of backcountry travelers is quite
low, and many of those could have been prevented by smarter behavior by the
humans involved. In other cases, there was simply nothing that could be
done. Anyway, it's a good book.

I wrote up the following page to kind of summarize my thoughts on the CDT
wrt/ bears & bears in general. It's mostly one person's opinion though, and
not meant to substitute for one's own personal research.
http://www.phlumf.com/cdt/cdtbear.htm

Another interesting tidbit; one of the people I hiked with had a mishap with
his pepper spray where the safety came loose. He later bent over and sprayed
himself all over his hip belt. The contact burning (which lasted through a
few rainstorms) and embarrassment were bad enough, but he also prudently
hung his pack each night as it probably stunk like a hot pepper sandwich to
a curious bear. Just another warning to make sure you're familiar with your
pepper spray's operation if you choose to carry it. I added a secondary
duct-tape safety to mine that I could rip off in half a second.

-Jonathan