[cdt-l] Pepper Spray?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Apr 2 15:32:43 CDT 2007

I usually don't jump into these things, but...

Regarding fear... this is not about irrational fear, but just being smart
and not overconfident. I've never been in a serious car accident, but I
still wear a seat belt. Am I governed by fear? I've never had a major bike
accident, but I wear a helmet when I ride. Fear? I also rope-up when
climbing on a crevassed glacier. I've never fallen into a crevasse. Am I
just too fearful? Those ropes, carabiners, and harnesses are heavy! But, I
still carry them, know how to use them, and would be a fool not to. We all
have to weigh the pros and cons of our choices. Is an 8oz can of bear spray
really that much of a burden? Does it increase your overall risk of an
accident? Maybe it's not a good solution for you, but that doesn't mean
everyone else must reach the same conclusion. For me, 8oz is not much
burden.

On making noise... What exactly do you do when you're hiking into a 30mph
wind? In bushes next to a raging stream? Both of these things are somewhat
common on the CDT. Making noise is a good idea, but not the solution to
every situation.

On keeping a clean camp... I'd still like to know how you know how clean the
previous occupants of your camp were. In Glacier and Yellowstone, you're
camping where everyone else has...

On hiking "experience"... In a typical year, let's say that 40 thru-hikers
go through northern Montana and Yellowstone, maybe 300 miles of Grizzly
territory. That's 12,000 miles; an order of magnitude more than anyone on
this list is claiming. Even that isn't really enough to try to extrapolate
some kind of real knowledge about the bigger picture. Have you seen the
movie Grizzly Man? Sure, he was a bit of a loon, but he really thought he
knew what he was doing, and for quite a while, his experience had proved him
right... Then, after spending thousands of hours living among grizzlies, he
got eaten. That only needs to happen once. You don't get to "learn from your
experience" in that case.

On the efficacy of bear spray... The jury is still out on this one. Sure,
you can miss, the wind can blow it away, you might just end up enraging the
bear... but until something better comes along, it seems to be the best
compromise available.

Bear spray is not a preventative measure, such as making noise, hanging
food, keeping a clean camp... You can't compare them. It is an item of last
resort, when those other things have failed.

So, don't carry bear spray if you don't want to, that's your choice on your
own hike - makes no difference to me. But, don't think that people who do
are paranoid fools either.

-Jonathan