[cdt-l] Bear Spray

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Apr 2 15:43:05 CDT 2007

That's simply not true. Bears (I'm talking mostly about grizzlies) attack
people for a variety of reasons, loosely grouped:

- Habituated bears who associate people with food
- Mothers defending young
- Surprised bears
- Bears who feel threatened by your presence
- Protecting a kill/carcass/food source
- Curious young bears testing the waters
- Desperate old starving bears

Each of these can lead to a quite different set of behavior by the bear, and
each requires a unique approach to improving your odds of getting out of the
situation safely. Some of these situations can indeed lead to feeding
behaviors.

-Jonathan