[cdt-l] Water Filters and use of Heet

Lawton Grinter lawtong at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 11:04:21 CDT 2007

Flat Feet, One thing to keep in mind about HEET is that it typically comes
in 3 different types . . . the Yellow bottle, the Red bottle and the Blue
bottle.  YOU ALWAYS WANT TO GET THE YELLOW BOTTLE.  Trust me on this one!

Water Filters . . . I am an Aqua Mira user through and through, but I was
really glad to be able to use my hiking partner´s water filter in
conjunction with the Aqua Mira on some of the CDT water sources.  I would
say that if you plan to carry a water filter only for certain sections, you
should consider carrying it from Lander, Wyoming to Encampment, Wyoming.
That´s basically all of the Great DIvide Basin and then a bit more below
Rawlins.  And next you might want to consider carrying it thru all of New
Mexico.  Most of the water sources we encountered in New Mexico were good;
however, some were so gross that we chose being thirsty over
filtering/treating from them.

One thing to keep in mind . . . we hiked with people that didin´t filter or
treat anything and they did fine . . . well almost, Skittles got some kind
of GI bug coming out of Pie Town headed south but it worked itself out in a
few days.

Happy Hiking, Disco

lawton grinter
PO Box 941