[cdt-l] Mount Taylor Environmental Assessment

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Tue Apr 10 11:00:19 CDT 2007

The Cibola National Forest has proposed the construction of new trail
along the  western slopes of Mount Taylor. In its environmental
assessment for this project, the Forest also states its intention to
continue north of Mount Taylor to the Forest boundary at Ojo de los
Indios on the existing route, a road passable only by high-clearance
vehicles. In its comments on the EA, CDTS criticizes the Forest Service
for its failure to recognize the outstanding scenic and historic
qualities of the summit of Mount Taylor (which would be the highest
point on the Trail in New Mexico). We also questioned the reliability of
water sources on the proposed route; unless a permanent water source can
be identified, we called for rejection of that route. In addition, we
identified alternative locations north of Mount Taylor that would allow
the Trail to be separated from the road by half a mile or more -- enough
to substantially reduce the conflict between motorized and nonmotorized
travel. (For the full text of our letter, use the link on the home page
of www.cdtsociety.org)  Although the formal comment period is closed,
you can still register your views by sending comments electronically to
lhudnell at fs.fed.us . For more information, including a copy of he EA,
you can contact the Mt. Taylor Ranger District in Grants NM at
505/287-8833. If you do send in comments, or have any other suggestions
or thoughts, please pass them on to us.

Jim Wolf