[cdt-l] Carrying Lots of Water

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 23:49:52 CDT 2007

Water sources on the CDT are generally closer than on the PCT.  We carried
at most one gallon at a time. As you read Jim Wolf's guidebooks, you'll get
a good idea of the distances.  The issue on the CDT is that some water
sources may not be functional when you arrive (i.e. broken windmill) or they
may be fouled (dead animals).  That is harder to predict.  We always carried
a little more than we needed so that if a source wasn't viable we would
survive until the next one.  We also never passed up a source unless we were
absolutely sure that there was water ahead.

Ginny