[cdt-l] Hitchhike to columbus

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Apr 17 20:59:45 CDT 2007

I always have had better luck keeping my hat on. It makes me look more like
a hiker, and can hide unsightly hair (or in my case, an increasing lack of
it). If you flip the front bill up a bit, you can still make good eye
contact, and might look like a bit of a nerd - a completely harmless and
friendly one.

Further to that point, my opinion is that sunglasses will hurt your odds.
since you can't make eye contact with the drivers. I had a debate with a
fellow hiker on the CDT who's philosophy was "they're either going to pick
you up or they're not". Anyway, we all managed to get rides - sunglasses or
not.

Anyway, I know the original question had nothing to do with hitching
strategies, but what the heck. I think  most CDT hikers have done quite a
bit of hitching, and have a plethora of opinions and strategies. It's a good
topic for discussion anyway.

Good luck out there!

-Jonathan