[cdt-l] wondering when everyone is starting

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Tue Apr 17 20:41:15 CDT 2007

For the latest snowpack I use the snotel sites that can be reached
for all states from:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/

or the monthly Montana snow surveys at:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/snow_rpt.pl?state=montana

The Postholer percentages are relative to April 1st. I think the Many
Glacier site is a poor Snotel site for monitoring the current snow
pack in late April or May because of its low elevation (4900'), low
precipitation, and rapid melt off in April. The Many Glacier snowpack
usually peaks sometime in the second half of March. It currently
shows 18% of the April 1st average.

A much better snotel site to use is Flattop Mtn (6300'), about 4
miles west of the Ahern Drift and at a slightly lower elevation. Its
snowpack peaks around May 1st. Its peak SWE is also 3 times larger
than Many Glacier (47" vs. 16"). It currently shows about 100% of the
April 1st average and about 90% of the average for April 17th.
Currently over 100" at Flattop. It gives a much different picture of
the snowpack at higher elevations in Glacier.

Jeff