[cdt-l] Fleecer Project (I-15 to A-P Wilderness)

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Tue Apr 24 11:48:30 CDT 2007

The Forest Service has issued a generally favorable decision on its
CDNST Fleecer project in Montana. We had been especially critical of the
agency's original preferred alternative for a number of reasons, but
primarily because it would have perpetuated the walk along high-standard
road for several miles on the southbound approach to Lower Seymour Lake.
The Forest Service has now decided to defer any action for the segment
west of the Mill Creek Road (Mule Ranch to Lower Seymour). We had raised
"the possibility of enhancing the scenic attraction of a new route by
locating it past Mount Evans and down to Storm Lake." The Forest
Supervisor has now concluded that this alternative merits further
analysis. Although such a route might be challenging from an engineering
standpoint, we are pleased that it remains very much in the running.
(See Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness Segment, Section 1.)

The Forest Service has decided to proceed with the portion from I-15 to
Mill Creek Road (Butte Segment, Sections 5 and 6). The main thrust of
the action here is the construction of four miles of new nonmotorized
trail from the Rocky Ridge Trailhead to Bull Ranch Road (Southern
Montana, Part 2, Map 11). For the time being at least, the portion from
Bull Ranch Road to Jerry Creek would continue to have some motorized
traffic. (This needs to be monitored, but to the best of our knowledge
the motorized traffic has been light. ) We had recommended that the
Trail should follow the existing route from Jerry Creek to the Mill
Creek Road via Hungry Hill, in preference to a more northern alternative
that would have required excessive ups and downs. The decision  follows
our recommendation.

The Forest Service "recognizes the need for water along the trail," but
fails to address how this need will be met [between Rocky Ridge
Trailhead and Jerry Creek] other than to make available information as
to its location at the trailhead or other appropriate location along the
trail. We had requested that the trail should be located so as to
include a spring or creek (such as one that we identified).

While by and large this is a good decision, we are considering further
discussions with the Forest Service with respect to:

    * The need to construct a nonmotorized route west of Bull Ranch Road
      if patterns of vehicle use are found to be inconsistent with the
      nature and purposes of the trail.
    * The proper classification (open vs. closed to motorized use) of
      any segment that was constructed as new trail as part of the CDNST
      - notably between Burnt Mountain and Jerry Creek. (As mentioned in
      the decision notice, "the National Trails Act does require that
      all new construction is non-motorized.")

The Environmental Assessment and project maps are accessible on the
internet at http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/b-d/projects/index-cdnst-fleecer.shtml.

Jim Wolf