[cdt-l] New Mexico trespassing

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 22:22:32 CDT 2007

michael sandoval wrote:

>     I have a quick question:  what is the deal with trespassing in New
>Mexico?  Do thru hikers just hop fences and think nothing about it?  Do we
>need to hop fences?  What is the story down there?
>     michael
>

> >From: Caryl Bergeron <caryl_bergeron at yahoo.com>
> >To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> >Subject: [cdt-l] New Mexico Permits
> >Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:40:36 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >We're looking at the New Mexico State Lands Office and see that their
> >recreational use permit costs $25.  Is this really required and does
> >anybody actually get one?

Let's go for a double play here -

For Caryl -  To my knowledge nobody's ever brought up the question before.
It's illegal to camp on NM State land, but as far as I know it's not illegal
to walk across it.  So - why would you need a recreational use permit? If
you want to pursue this, call them.  And then please let the rest of us know
the answer.

For Michael - There's no reason to be trespassing.  I know - there are those
who have proudly proclaiimed how often they've trespassed.  That's kinda
like bragging about being too dumb to know where you are.  Nor does it take
a GPS to keep you straight - all it takes is the right maps (the BLM land
use maps) - and the elementary ability to "navigate."  Meaning - the ability
to actually pay attention to where you are and relate what you see to the
map.  Anyone who can't do that shouldn't be on the trail in the first place
- because even with a GPS you have to relate to the map.

Truth is that the CDT is very nearly as well marked as the PCT - the
exceptions being the Carson Forest in NM and a couple places lin Colorado.

Hmm - back to the subject at hand - none of the above means you'll never
have to hop a fence.  A lot of the BLM land is divided into fenced sections,
with barbed wire around each one mile square.  We found that the easiest way
to "hop" a fence was to find a place where we could slide under - and use a
piece of Tyvek to slide on - real slick.  Just be sure you're hopping the
RIGHT  fence.

BTW - the RIGHT maps are listed on our website at
http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06%20maps.html .  Specifically, we used the
appropriate BLM and USFS maps - as well as Jonathon's maps.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/