[cdt-l] Hitchhiking Etiquette

Francis Tapon ftapon at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 02:17:47 CDT 2007

I'm slow at replying, but I wanted to answer Terry and Mags. Since it's been a while, I included our original emails below.

Terry: I'm sorry that you don't understand my motivation for my post. It's simple: to encourage hikers to "consider" giving cash as a thank you for a hitch. I'm not urging that they do, simply asking folks to consider it. Such an action creates goodwill.
Also, the CDT-L isn't a forum for experienced thru-hikers. It's for folks interested in the CDT, whether they have thru-hiked or not. Many of its members have never thru-hiked and some may have never hitchhiked.

Mags: I agree that with what you wrote: "I do not think it is customary to give money for a hitch. I never expect money when I give people hitches. I think most people are in that category as well."
That's why I wrote: "Of course, 9 times out of 10 they will turn you down...."

Also, I agree that 99% of hikers show their gratitude to their drivers. I was simply suggesting to take it one step further and offer cash.

Take my advice or leave it. No biggie. Hike your own hike.

Finally, I agree with Mags that I ought to help build trails. It's been a while. Giving half my book royalty to the PCTA, CDTA, and ATC helps a little, but a bit of sweat equity might be more meaningful. Good advice! I hope to help out when I finish this adventure. For now all I can do is create rock cairns in confusing places (I've made 100-200 so far) and I snap protruding vegetation as much possible.

Happy trails,

Francis Tapon

Visit www.HikeYourOwnHike.com