[cdt-l] maps and guide book

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:53:54 CDT 2007

Definitely get both - they are very different types of guidebooks. Yogi's is
a town guide and "how to hike" - not an actual guidebook saying turn here
and the water is there.  I don't think Yogi intends to update her book every
year - it is simply too much work. Jim Wolf's are the best guidebook for
describing the trail in detail. In some cases the guidebook has a supplement
that you also need to get.  Coordinating the guidebook and the supplement
takes some time - work it out before you leave home so you don't try to
follow a trail that was closed years ago.   Given the water situation
though, you absolutely do need Wolf's guidebooks to find the sometimes
hidden springs and to figure out the twists and turns of the trail.  I don't
know if Jim plans any new editions over the winter - check his website or
ask him before you buy.  You will also need maps in addition to what is in
the guidebooks.  Jonathan's are good for trail notes, but lack many of the
side trails and roads that show on the National Forest maps.  Get both.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/