[Cdt-l] Rockies Ruck Reminder

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 09:56:54 CST 2007

As always, please excuse the cross postings. :)

I hope everyone is getting ready for the holidays (or perhaps already enjoying the holidays by having latkes...mmm..latkes).

Just a reminder about the Rockies Ruck!

>From a previous post:

It is that time of the year again...time for the Rockies low key get
together! :)

There have always been Gatherings, Rucks, Kick Offs and Trail Days
on the East and West coasts.... many of us here in Rockies felt it
was time to do one in our neck of the mountains. In 2005, 2006 and
2007 we did!  We typically have about 20-25 people.

The Ruck is a low key get together for those who enjoy the long
trails. Does not matter if you are thru-hiker, a section hiker, day
hiker or a dreamer...you just need to love the outdoors and the long
trails!

More info on what a Ruck is all about:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040111105214/friends.backcountry.net/ruck/

This year, we are again having the Ruck at the Leadville Hostel
(http://www.leadvillehostel.com) in Leadville, CO on Feb 29th - Mar 2nd.

The last weekend of February/ first weekend of March. (Leap year,
don't you know!)

Some of you CDTers/CTers and American Discovery Trail folks probably
know Wild Bill and Cathy from your stay at the hostel. They are
continuing to be one of the most friendly hostels owners on ANY trail.

As with previous years, the cost will be ~$60 for a bunk, shower, four
meals (2 dinners, 2 breakfasts. We'll do a potluck lunch on Saturday).

There are LIMITED amounts of private/couple rooms, so if you prefer a
room to a bunk, I suggest reserving early.

All reservations can be done at:
www.leadvillehostel.com

You can also make reservations at:
(719) 486-9334

Tell Bill that it is for the ROCKIES RUCK. The hostel can accommodate
vegetarian needs. Pets are allowed. "Adult drinks" are allowed for
those who behave like adults. (Which means, I can drink my wine! :D)

The hostel itself has a HUGE TV for the slide shows, plenty of space
downstairs for gear stuff. If you are doing a trail, there are AT,
PCT, CDT and other trail veterans happy to answer any questions.

During the day, plenty of skiing/snowshoeing opportunities abound.
There is even a shop in Leadville that rents the equipment, too. For
anyone who enjoys alpine skiing, Ski Cooper is nearby at Tennesee
Pass. If you need supplies, Leadville has a Safeway.

Photos from previous years at:
http://snipurl.com/12agr
http://snipurl.com/1sv76

Any more questions? Please e-mail me at pmags AT yahoo.com
(replace the AT with an @)

I also suggest going to the Yahoo Group set up for the ruck at: