[cdt-l] What to do after the CDT?

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 10 19:27:41 CST 2007

In a lot of ways, you describe us.  Our first response was, go back and hike
the CDT again.  We did and had a terrific hike.  But now we want more of the
wildness and remoteness - so we're going out again this year with a
different plan:  First to hike Brett's trail - the Grand Enchantment --  a
lot like the CDT was 20 years ago, I imagine, then to wander Utah's canyons
for a while, with some side hikes in Colorado and Wyoming, then up to
Canada's Great Divide Trail -- a mixture of overregulated National Park
bureaucracy (but incredible scenery) and truly wild and beautiful untrailed
wilderness.

I wish I could get excited about the ADT.  I love the idea of walking from
coast to coast, but all the roadwalking is a total turn-off.  The western
half may be great, but I know what the trail is like in our area, and it's
not my idea of fun.  The NCT is a bit more remote, but it still spends a lot
of miles walking along paved roads.  Plus I really love hiking in truly wild
country.  Farmland is nice, but it's not wilderness.  The idea of spending
two more months in grizzly country this summer really excites me.  We hope
to go back to Alaska next year - even more wild, even more remote.

I like the idea of traveling in Europe or Asia - but that would be a
cultural experience, not a wilderness one.  And at the moment, it is still
the wilderness that really draws me.  The Hayduke Trail was an option--it
would satisfy on a lot of levels --but after reading the guidebook, I
realize that I just don't have the skills to hike that one.  Plus, the
thought of carrying three days' water . . . I'm not ready for that yet. But
we can play a bit in the canyon country - see the beauty without having to
do the serious canyoneering that hiking the Hayduke requires.  And we may
acquire the skills we need to go on to the next level.

The hike in New Zealand definitely appeals.  I've heard how beautiful that
country is.  One of my dreams is to spend time in Australia and New Zealand.
  Of course, there's the cost :-(   Same problem with hiking in Europe.
Beautiful country - but not cheap.  And definitely not wilderness.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/