[cdt-l] Difficulty of Routefinding

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 00:30:25 CST 2007

>>because  the AT has a lot to offer even experienced long
>>distance hikers.
There is beauty there, if you have eyes for it.<<

These are excellent points. As a footnote, I would just add
that perhaps the most appropriate way to thru-hike the AT as
the last in series would be to hike it southbound and
starting late. Not only will this largely eliminate what
might be an incompatible social hiking scene, but it will
add a certain degree of additional challenge and remoteness
that is more like the standard fare on the other two trails.

By late, I mean sometime in August, starting at Katahdin.
Doing so in 2003 I quickly progressed through the finishing
northbound crowd, then as the summer hiking season faded I
found myself with quite a few empty shelters, especially
from Virginia southward. Most of the other southbounders had
started earlier, typically so much earlier that they were
essentially uncatchable.

I even recall the occasional day with no human encounters,
usually when it was cold and rainy, and the fallen leaves
were grease-slick and hazardous. Sorta like early season on
Fuller Ridge. Or maybe some Glacier NP high route in
October.

Beauty lies in the details on the AT. Honing one's knowledge
of the eastern forests in advance of and during the hike
will add a huge extra dimension to what the untrained eye
would write off as merely a long, green tunnel.

- blisterfree