[cdt-l] Difficulty of Routefinding

Remy Levin fellowship_of_yatzek at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 10:18:30 CST 2007

we went through this section in early october of last year. approx. 2 miles after leaving the highway out of cuba (going south) there is a waymarked route of wooden posts tipped with white and big cairns. very easy to follow. This route takes you up the mesa, along it's edge for several miles, and then winds you down the other side. It goes past jones canyon spring, arroyo chico, and up the second mesa (I can't quite remember the name). The entire section south of cuba which is on BLM land (roughly 50 miles) is marked in this manner, varying from excellent quality (giant cairns) to mediocre quality (smaller cairnes in the grass). this is the off road route that was marked on jonathan's maps in purple. It now exists, is fairly easy to follow, and I highly recommend taking it (it is also very beautiful). we found the route finding problems to start when you cross over to forest service land at the gate.

Jonathan Ley <jonathan at phlumf.com> wrote: Based on the feedback I got from last year's hikers, I think they did, and
it follows the rim of the mesa for about 1.5 miles, eventually heading north
down the Arroyo... Of course, I wasn't there myself, so the info is always a
bit suspect. :-)

-Jonathan