[cdt-l] Water treatment survey

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 27 16:11:23 CST 2007

We used a filter, the Katadyn/Pur Hiker.   We carried it the whole way, but
there were places we didn't filter.  As others said, when water came out of
a pipe, we drank it straight.  A lot of high country springs seemed to be
good.  Any standing water we filtered.  I wasn't worried so much about
giardia as the large amount of cow (and other animal) poop that was in some
of the sources and the fact that we found dead animals in several water
sources, which made the rest rather suspect. I don't know what decomposed
bird, bat or squirrel would do to me, but I preferred not to find out.  The
cow troughs were probably okay, even though they were full of green/brown
water - but I prefer to filter that.  Aesthetics, I guess.  We never got
sick.

On our first CDT hike we filtered everything and went through five filter
elements.  (Filters don't like glacial flour.)  This hike we were less
careful and only replaced the filter twice.  We carry iodine as emergency
backup, but rarely used it.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/