[cdt-l] Columbus Route

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Wed Feb 28 14:32:33 CST 2007

_Re:_
One thing I can say for sure is this.  The Columbus route and Antelope Wells
route are on paved roads.  The CDTA route is not.  I for one prefer anything
but paved roads on a long distance hike.

_____

The Columbus route is mostly dirt roads. As you leave Deming, you have 14 miles on lightly-traveled paved roads. The next 40 miles are unpaved (including the recommended scenic bushwhack in the Florida Mountains), then 3 miles from Columbus to the Mexican border. Several hikers' accounts report walking the highway straight from Deming to the border, but they are missing one of the highlights of the entire CDT.

Jim Wolf