[cdt-l] Soaking Food Instead of Cooking

Francis Tapon ft at francistapon.com
Thu Jan 4 15:17:01 CST 2007

Heidrun: Thanks for the reply!

How long would you need to soak food?

On the PCT, I accidentally bought pasta that needed 15 minutes of cooking.
Before going to bed, I put it in the pot, filled with cold water, and let it
soak overnight. The next morning I could just eat it without any cooking. It
was just like eating leftover pasta out of the fridge without heating it. I
usually used an Esbit to warm it up and added mixes to spice it up. However,
that got me thinking that if you don't mind that the pasta is not warm, you
could eat it cold.

That got me thinking about a multitude of overnight soaking options. If I
can make pasta that takes 15 minutes to cook edible with just overnight
soaking, it seems that there is a world of possibilities (provided you don't
mind cold food). Also, the overnight soaking depends on temps above
freezing! :-)

Have you found any website that discusses soaking ideas?

Happy trails,

Francis Tapon

Check out this 2 minute video: http://tinyurl.com/yyzdbo

Learn about my book, Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking
Across America, at: http://www.FrancisTapon.com/book

  _____