[cdt-l] Huge Avalanche near Berthoud Pass

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Sat Jan 6 13:05:19 CST 2007

Colorado's really getting whacked this year with snow, but I guess it's
still to early to tell what condiditon will be like next summer.

DENVER (Jan. 6) - A huge avalanche buried several cars and sent others over
the edge Saturday on U.S. 40 near 11,307-foot-high Berthoud Pass, Colorado
highway officials said.

"Our crews said it was the largest they have ever seen. It took three
paths," said Stacey Stegman, spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of
Transportation.

Crews had rescued at least six people at the site some  60 miles west of
Denver, she said.

Rescuers were probing the area for  other survivors.

She said some cars were buried by the snow in an area  called Stanley near
Berthoud Falls between 10:00 and 10:30 a.m.

Berthoud Pass is the main route to Winter Park, one of Colorado's largest
ski areas.