[cdt-l] Average CDT age?

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 11 14:55:03 CST 2007

I have to join in on this one!

Ken and I hiked the PCT at ages 55 and 52 (I had my 53rd BD in WA) One of my happiest realizations was that I was a hiker. I walked my miles like everybody else and hung out in town with the other hikers. I didn't feel like a female or older hiker...I was just one of the hikers to the point that a Hiker isn't a gender, age, income level, education level or former occupation. I was a Hiker just like the others and we did our miles and found the water and camped out.

Our CDT was two years later, and the AT the next year and two years after that we hiked the ADT (you can do the math). UT and NV have ALL the CDT challenges in spades minus the other hikers, or for that matter, anybody outside of the very infrequent towns.

We do work up to 25 miles around town with packs before we start a trail. We have occasional blisters (usually from hot surfaces), one sore shin, many non serious falls, no injuries but scrapes and bruises and no "flu" or colds. Maybe I should post this under the "Have I Been Lucky?" heading.

I see the octogenarians backpacking and those are the people I want to grow up to be like!

That's why I
...GottaWalk