[cdt-l] Average age for CDT hiklers

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 17:32:24 CST 2007

>>My guess is that CDT hikers follow a similar pattern as PCT hikers.

Most *FIRST TIME* thru-hikers seem to follow the  "under-25 and over-55 category" rule of thumb. Students and retirees. Thoes two
groups traditionally have the most free time.

The CDT (and to a lesser extent  than in the past, the PCT) tends to get "repeat offenders". Many of us do not fit the college/marriage/home/baby "road map" that is so popular with our peers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I am the proud adoptive "uncle" of my friend's first child. I'm biased, but I think he is the cutest baby in Boudler. :D) The ages of "repeat offenders" tend to be all over the map,  There was a heavy concetration of 30-somethings  this past year esp. going SoBo. (I am 32 myself)

So, the CDT does not follow the pattern of the two other trails in terms of people who hike them.  Those who hike the trail tend to have at least one other trail under their belt and have made a decision that long distance hiking is not just a hobby or a sport, but a lifestyle.  And those who have made thru-hiking a lifestyle (esp. pre-retirement age) tend to be a little bit older than the college age crowd.