[cdt-l] Dick E Bird

Caleb Ewing cal_ewing at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 17:47:20 CST 2007

Dick E.B. that was a beautiful post. I support your right to think and choose and walk
where you please, certain that you can discriminate between honorable and harmful
passage. By your writings and experiences, and your tone here, I have no doubt you
regularly turn potentially unpleasant experiences into positive and honorable ones. My
hat’s off to you.

In fairness though, I believe Bruce is correct about the larger consequences of general
bad behavior and trespass. Not all hikers will have Dick E’s combination of charm,
stealthiness, and Semper Fi good looks. Trespassing is a bad habit, the consequences
rippling outward ever on. I have not always felt uniformly positive about Mr. Ward or the
expansive mission of the CDTA, but here, Bruce is plainly looking out for the good of the
trail.

Here is an article from several years ago where Bruce speaks about the CDT, the mission
of the CDTA, and the CDTA’s underlying ethic of cooperation and collaboration. The
article is relevant to the issue of trespass, and it supports Bruce's ongoing concern
viv-a-vis hiker behavior.

http://www.americantrails.org/trailtracks/Fall96TT/NMRoadblock.html

I’ve had my suspicions, but in the years since I started following the goings-on in the
TA, I have not heard or seen anything from Bruce or the CDTA that is inconsistent with
the sentiments he expresses here. I think I’m finally going to cut him some slack.

But I still don’t like the GPS thing with Backpacker Mag.

Caleb