[cdt-l] Average CDT age?

Melanie Simmerman jennylind50 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 12:14:27 CST 2007

I didn't think I was going to reply to this topic, was
surprised it became so popular.

Cupcake/John - what can you mean? I was on the PCT in
2002, met you actually, and there were quite a few of
us over 40 -- including me. In fact, on all trails
that I've hiked, there have been quite a contingent of
over 40, even over 50 hikers. Perhaps not as many as
the 20's just out of college crowd...but not
invisible.

In fact, my first thru-hike was the AT in 1996, when I
was 42.  Still going strong. Working on the Triple
Crown, and hope to be out there when I'm 80. My
inspiration is a great hiker (Irene
Cline/"Tag-a-Long": you go girl!)who is now well into
her 80's, and just finished section hiking the ICE AGE
Trail with her sister. I met her in GA once, as she
was finishing her last section of the AT at age 79!

I rarely meet other Manhattanites on thru-hikes,
though!!!!

Oh - on the famous hikers topic: Jacques D'Amboise,
danseur extraordinaire with Balanchine's NYC Ballet
(long retired and probably well over 50 or 60 at the
time, now Dir. of Nat'l Dance Inst.) thru-hiked the AT
in 1999. I met him in Maine near Gulf Hagas, when I
was working on the MATC/FORCE trail crew.
Lemstar (Melanie) NYC