[cdt-l] Tom Jacoby Jan 18

RICHARD MALLERY dickebird at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 06:42:17 CST 2007

I didn't want to ignore your post Tom. Good information and perspective. I
finally found the time to read and digest Chapter 14 of your New Mexico
trespass link. It really boils down to common sense but I would like to
shift the emphasis of trespass from the hiker to the land manager/property
owner. This link is a prime example of the piles of money the government
spends on reams of pulp to explain simple rules. Some of that pulp budget
could be spent on a color coded web-based map that each agency was expected
to continually update on a quarterly basis as land issues changed.
Information sharing would solve the majority of trespass issues created by
hikers, hunters, horse, ATV, rockhounds, birders and berrypickers. It would
end any question of what was legal right-of-way and what was not.

The simple hiker solution is to establish a trail. Maybe it should be
explained to those who oppose a trail in different terminology. We should
call it the National Scenic Cattle Chute. Tell them we need to herd all
those hikers through the high desert and keep them all together where we can
keep an eye on them. The class of 2007 is an example of how this trail is
gaining in popularity with LDH's. Without a designated trail it is pretty
easy to figure they will all be hiking a shotgun pattern across New Mexico.
Ben (Franklin) said it best, "We must all hang together, or most assuredly
we shall all hang separately." A trail, no different that I-10 or Rt. 66,
should gain right-of-way in the same manner. It will improve the economy of
every outpost along the trail and end all trespass issues--basic crowd
control.

I did camp in White Sands, but legally. You can get a backcountry permit
from the Monument. They lock the gate at night so you are in for the
duration even if aliens try to experiment on you. We always go during the
full moon. In the words of John Denver it's, "Far Out."

--Keep Smilin', Dick E. Bird